Miss Trott's Schools
In 1895 we learn from Bulmer's Directory of Derbyshire that
Broomfield - Dorothy attended here for a while. Most of the teaching was done by
The school was near the station, 2 miles from home and 3 miles from Dore Church. St John's was half a mile away.
On her way to
In 1916 Dorothy went to boarding school in Buxton. Later, back home, she started to teach the piano. then Miss Reed called her to Dore High School to ask if she would coach a girl for her examination. Then she was employed by a
After Ebenezer Hall died Abbeydale Hall became a private hotel. Dorothy asked if she could use the premises but this was refused. She asked the Reverend Kerfoot if she could use St John's Church Rooms. She obtained permission from Miss Reed to use the name Dore High
"St John's Church, near Dore station an exquisitely appointed small
Dorothy now had to prepare it for its new use as a school. Her father lent her fifty pounds to be repaid at five percent. Apart from
|1 Kindergarten Table||15s 0d|
|4 Kindergarten round-backed chairs||20s|
|1 Portable Blackboard and Easel||15s|
|2 Boxes chalk [white and ||2s 6d|
|2 dozen Exercise books [ruled]||3s|
|1 dozen Exercise books [squared]||2s|
|2 Bottles ink [red and black]||3s|
|Sundry KG materials||£1.15s|
|Boxes, pencils, pens,|
|Less discount on purchases of £5||6d|
"On a crisp Thursday morning in January 1924 I lifted the latch of the heavy oak doors leading to St John's Church Rooms. Inside the large hall, the caretakers had already set out the polished kindergarten tables, four small
Meals for Day
There were alterations in 1933. And over the years various houses were bought. At the start of the 2nd World War Miss Trott considered moving the School in the country, but then bought Woodleigh, the beautiful house next door. Her father helped her again, buying the house and renting it to the school. Over the years more houses were bought on Grove Road.
The twenty-first birthday celebrations of the school were held a month early in December 1944 on Speech Day in Sheffield City Memorial Hall.
"One of the reasons for our rapid expansion was the ability to produce successes in Public Examinations. With so few pupils, small classes and individual attention, we could develop the potential whether academic or practical of each girl and sound tuition in basic subjects enabled the boys to gain entrance to the schools of their parents' choice. The pre-1914 conception of an academy for the daughters of gentlemen where only the social graces were cultivated was passing rapidly out of fashion. The 1914-18 war had opened many professions to women; they had found freedom, politically and financially, and it was no longer possible to restrict their development.
The school started with seven pupils and eight members of staff in 1924. It closed forty-two years later, ninety years after it was opened by