A Timeline for Dore and Around
829AD Limb Brook, Dore forms the boundary between Mercia (conquered by King Ecgbert of Wessex) and Northumbria (ruled by King Eanred). King Ecgbert leads an army to Dore – a meeting place well known to both sides. His opponent, King Eanred, is preoccupied by Danish raids and is unwilling to risk hostilities on two fronts. At Kings Croft, Dore he submits and offers King Ecgbert "obedience and concord and thereupon they separated". Through this treaty King Ecgbert becomes overlord of the English-speaking part of our island, effectively from the English Channel to the Firth of Forth. This authority was not, in the event, permanent but it did herald the unity of the Kingdom of England which took place in 927 under King Æthelstan.
1086 Dore is in the wapentake (division of a shire) of Scarsdale. The Domesday Book names Dore as part of the land of Roger de Busli (or Bully), the Lord of Hallam. He was believed to have been born near Dieppe, Normandy in around 1038 and died between 1098 and 1100. As William the Conqueror’s tenant-in-chief, the reward of land for his part in the Norman invasion included 174 manors in Nottinghamshire and large parts of the present South Yorkshire. He established his castle at Tickhill. His only son pre-deceased him. His brother Arnaldus also held land in Nottinghamshire, and Arnaldus’ grandson, Richard, founded Roche Abbey near Maltby. Two Dore landowners are mentioned in the Domesday Book - Edwin and Leofwin. Each had two bovates of taxable land (a bovate is usually between 15 and 20 acres). Leofwin’s land which included "land for one plough" seems to have dropped in value from twenty shillings to 64 pence.
c1175 Land is granted by Robert FitzRanulph de Alfreton, the Lord of Edwalton, to establish a house of Premonstratensian canons (a branch of the Augustinian Order also known as Norbertines or, from their dress, as White Canons) at Beauchief. Dore pays tithe to the monks of Beauchief.
1183 Beauchief Abbey consecrated.
c1280 The Walk Mill (near the site of Dore station) is used by the monks of Beauchief to full (cleanse and thicken) cloth.
1302 Robert de Middleton, Yeoman of Dore, is prosecuted for an assault on Henry le Forester.
1306 Hugh le Barker is prosecuted for an assault on Henry le Forester. Robert de Middleton is also fined for his part in the attack. The Barkers came to be Dore’s leading family until the 18th century. They lived at Dore Hall.
1490 Boys are taught by the monks at Beauchief Abbey.
1536 Beauchief Abbey is dissolved.
1577 Robert Stevenson of Unstone bequeaths "one hundred herrings and bread to be distributed to the poor every Friday in Lent".
1616 Appraisers value the effects of Edward Barker, the Squire of Dore, at £303 (probably around £22,500 in today’s money and excluding land and buildings).
1630 Dronfield Grammar School founded by Henry Fanshawe and, by charter, the school educated children from Dore until 1972.
1632 Thomas Stanley comes to Dore’s "chapel-of-ease" as Curate and remains for about four years.
1665-6 Thomas Stanley, former Curate of Dore and Rector of Eyam, is hailed as one of the heroes of the Eyam Plague along with William Mompesson, his successor as Rector.
1705 The Vicar of Dronfield reports, "Dore Chapel hath nothing at all belonging to it".
1711 Margaret, Duchess of Newcastle, is listed as Lord of the Manor of Dore.
1720 Robert Turie, Curate of Ecclesall, gives the people of Dore £40 to be "laid out in lands" with the accrueing rent to enable six of the poorest children to be taught English. The incumbent of Dore would select the children and appoint the master. Teaching probably took place on the site of the present Old School. Dore becomes a perpetual curacy but is not yet a parish in its own right.
1742 The Duke of Devonshire acquires the manor of Dore from the Duke of Newcastle.
1790 Wesleyan Methodists start to meet in Dore and do so until 1843.
1791 Richard Furness born at Eyam. He later starts work as an apprentice currier in Chesterfield at the age of 14.
1801 Dore’s population is given as 375.
1805 The approximate date of the origin of the tale of Old Betty and her Oatcake [probably apocryphal].
1809 The Duke of Devonshire with other landowners applies to enclose areas of common land. The Dore Enclosure Act ("An Act for Inclosing Lands in the Parish of Dronfield in the County of Derby") is passed. The Act dealt with an area of about 5,000 acres. The local survey is done by Mr Fairbanks, the Sheffield surveyor.
1811 Dore’s population is given as 398.
1812 Works starts on the new Dore Turnpike (Ecclesall Road South and Hathersage Road). The new road from Banner Cross to Fox House obviates the more difficult stretch of the Buxton Turnpike which ran via Ringinglow Road and Houndkirk Moor.
1816 Richard Furness marries Frances Ibbotson in Hathersage.
1821 The present Old School is "erected by subscription". Dore’s population is now 476. Probably the area’s oldest man, George Wainwright, dies in Dore at the age of 107.
1822 Richard Furness moves to the house attached to the school and receives an £18 per year salary as schoolmaster. The award of lands under the Dore Enclosure Act is executed. The trustees of Dore School are awarded about 20 acres. Robert Thorpe is allotted land at the Bod (Limb Lane), Henry Hancock is allotted land at Stony Ridge and builds a house which is rented by Henry and Jane Peat who establish "T’Besom Shop" there.
1823 On a visit, the Archdeacon finds Dore Chapel to have cracked and bulging walls and "three frightful wooden pillars down the centre, supporting the roof". It is decided to demolish the building and the site is sold for £33. A bounty of seven shillings is paid by the Constable for a bitch fox.
1826 By law, unmarried mothers-to-be are removed from their place of residence to the parish to which they belong. Elizabeth Taylor, a single woman living in Dore, is removed to Manchester "by reason of pregnancy" to be provided for by the city’s Overseers of the Poor.
1827 Richard Furness, the local schoolmaster, designs Dore’s new church which is built at a cost of about £1,000. The Chesterfield coroner is paid five shillings to hold an inquest into the death of Dore stonemason, Thomas Short, who was "killed by the falling-in of his own cellar arch while he was in the act of taking away the centres".
1828 Pigot’s Commercial Directory of Derbyshire lists Dore as a place of no consideration in the way of trade with the exception of a paper mill. Building work continues on Dore church.
1829 The new Dore church is consecrated by the Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry. Technically, it remains a chapel-of-ease in Dronfield parish.
1831 Dore’s population rises to 527.
1835 The Constable’s Accounts for Dore and Totley show that 51 polecats were caught between 1832 – 1835 inclusive. Around this time Charles Revitt famously mends the church harmonium’s bellows with the garter of a lady chorister.
1840 Richard Martin becomes the first Vicar of Dore.
1841 Richard Furness is criticised by school inspectors who find his school in chaos and the children dirty, fighting and squabbling amongst themselves. Dore’s population is now 575.
1843 Dore becomes a parish in its own right.
1848 Richard Furness resigns after having been effectively ousted from his job as schoolmaster. He is granted a pension of £15 per year, and school fees are increased to help pay for it.
1849 Richard Martin, Vicar, leaves to become chaplain of a convict ship moored at Gosport. He is succeeded by John Aldred.
1851 Dore’s population drops to 574.
1853 William Broadhead, Secretary of the Saw Grinders’ Union, visits local saw grinder, Elisha Parker. Parker’s horse is hamstrung (crippled by cutting its tendons).
1854 The "Sheffield Outrages" committed by organised labour against non-union workers affect Dore. Elisha Parker, is shot at and has gunpowder laid at his house.
1857 Richard Furness dies at Dore and is interred at Eyam Church.
1858 Richard Furness’ poetical works are published by subscription.
1859 Elisha Parker is "rattened" (his work is sabotaged) and he receives a letter pseudonymously signed "Tantia Topee" (infamous at the time as one of the leaders of the Indian mutineers who was arrested and hanged in April of this year).
1861 Dore’s population rises again to 610. Primitive Methodists open their chapel on High Street.
1866 The Sheffield Filemakers’ strike lasts for sixteen weeks.
1867 Elisha Parker gives evidence at the Trades Union Commission enquiry into the Sheffield Outrages. The trustees of Dore School receive a government grant to fund the building of an additional room for infants.
1870 The railway line between Chesterfield and Sheffield opens. Abbey Houses (Beauchief) gets a station but Dore’s is two years late. Ryecroft Mill, used in the 17th century as a lead mill and later as a corn mill, ceases to operate.
1871 Dore’s population rises again to 660.
1872 Dore and Totley railway station opens, reached by Dore New Road (Dore Road) which is built at the same time through the Duke of Devonshire’s property from Abbeydale Road to Ashfurlong Lane.The parish authorities widen the old lane from there to the village.
1876 The Education Act makes schooling compulsory, but it is not yet free.
1878 Haymaking depletes the numbers of children at Dore School from about 100 to 22. School attendance is also reduced by harvesting, picking, spring cleaning, infectious diseases and adverse weather. St John’s parish is formed from parts of Dore and Norton. Piped water from Redmires begins to reach houses in Dore Road. The Licensed Victuallers’ Asylum is built opposite Dore and Totley railway station.
1881 Dore’s population is given as 631 with a further 243 souls in Abbeydale.
1882 Dore schoolmaster Mr Deane resigns because of his inadequate salary. He had also had discipline problems with two girls who refused to "fold their arms" in front of the Vicar. The "Thorough Guide to the Peak District" by M J B Baddeley comments, " The road between Fox House and Hathersage – an important turnpike one – was made almost impassable for carriages by the daily running of a traction engine with two huge trucks from Dronfield to various places in the Derwent valley. That such a gross abuse of the purposes for which highways are constructed should have been permitted for a single week is a disgrace to everybody concerned. However, the slaughter of one boy, the upsetting of the mail-cart, and, lastly, the cruel extinction of two young lives on Easter Monday through a collision between the hideous abomination and a private carriage will, it may be hoped, lead to such an alteration in existing laws as will prevent the safety of the public being jeopardised in this utterly unwarrantable manner. It is inconceivable that such a monstrous deformity should be allowed to grind and snort its way, as a regular institution, through scenes into which the introduction of railways has been loudly decried on aesthetic grounds."
1883 Eliza Flint is expelled from Dore School after breaking windows, swearing, lying and stealing.
1884 Building of the Dore and Chinley railway line is authorised after being unsuccessfully opposed by local resident Ebenezer Hall, silversmith and electroplater, of Abbeydale Park (now Abbeydale Hall).
1885 Mr Cottam of Grimesthorpe starts a horse-bus service from Dore and Totley station to Totley Cross Scythes.
1888 Work starts on the construction of Totley Tunnel.
1891 Railway building is in part responsible for the growth of Dore’s population to 1,646 with an additional 986 souls in Abbeydale.
1892 The tunnellers of Totley Tunnel meet in the middle after boring through 3 miles and 950 yards (and laying about 30 million bricks).
1893 Local smallpox epidemic claims the lives of navvies working on railway construction. The Dore and Chinley railway line opens for goods traffic.
1894 The Dore and Chinley railway line opens for passenger traffic. The Revd John Aldred dies and he is succeeded by Revd W R Gibson.
1896 Joseph Hancock of Rushley writes his history of Dore.
1897 The children of Dore and Totley are each presented with a commemorative book by Dore School trustees to mark Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee.
1901 Mr Bone is appointed as headmaster of Dore School where he remains until 1925. The railway navvies have moved on and the local population drops slightly with 1,305 people recorded in Dore and a further 1,058 in Abbeydale.
1907 Dore Post Office is connected to the telephone network.
1909 New bells are dedicated at Dore Church. A public telephone is installed at Dore Station. A new sewer scheme is planned for Dore. Dore and Totley children take part in a pageant written by Mrs Milner of Totley Hall which depicted the events of 829.
c1910 Miss Dobbs joins the staff of Dore School.
1912 An Old Time Country Fair is held in the Vicarage garden.
1914 Dore Girl Guides founded.
1915 A Sheffield Telegraph ramblers’ guide draws attention to Totley Brook Road "where some of our young Sheffield architects have been letting themselves go with much novelty of design".
1917 There are 129 children on the register at Dore School.
1919 End of World War 1. Bassetts of Sheffield launch a new product called "Peace Babies", later to be known as "Jelly Babies".
1922 Dore’s War Memorial is unveiled.
1924 Dore and Totley become separate parishes.
1925 Mr Speight takes over as headmaster of Dore School and remains until 1940 when he is promoted.
1926 The Vicar, Revd W R Gibson, draws attention to "two races" in Dore – the longstanding inhabitants and Sheffield incomers.
1929 The official opening of Furniss Avenue.
1930 The Bushey Wood is given to Norton Rural Council by its surveyor, Mr E Sampson.
1931 The 300 year-old Rushley Cottage is demolished. The road to Fox House is straightened.
1934 Boundary change by which Dore is transferred from Derbyshire to Yorkshire.
1938 The last corn is cut at Causeway Head Farm prior to the building of houses. Dore has a Women’s Mouth Organ Band.
1940 The centre of Sheffield is bombed and 600 lives are lost.
1942 Dore mine (ganister and coal), operative for over one hundred years, is abandoned.
1943 RAF practises dam bombing raids on nearby reservoirs.
1945 Dore School marks victory in Europe. Children get three days’ holiday and free chocolate. Ladybower Reservoir opened by King George VI to meet the growing needs of Sheffield and the East Midlands.
1947 The "Arctic" winter. 22 Pre-fab houses are erected in Dore.
c1950 Miss Dobbs retires from the staff of Dore School.
1951 Dore’s population (probably excluding Abbeydale) is given as 2,336.
1953 New road is constructed at Whirlow Bridge. Mr Wright becomes headmaster of Dore School.
1959 Dore Methodist Church is modernised, extended and reconsecrated. Well dressing begins.
1962 Police raid a Sunday football match on the recreation ground.
1964 Dore Village Society is formed.
1965 The new school opens and Dore School is closed and fully entrusted to the trustees.
1967 17th century Rose and Ivy Cottages (next to the Devonshire Arms) are demolished.
1968 The Commemorative Stone on the common land of the Village Green is erected and unveiled near to the King’s Croft where the Treaty was reputedly signed.
1969 Dore railway station becomes an unstaffed halt.
1974 The ecclesiastical parish of Dore is transferred from the Province of Canterbury to York.
1976 The prefabricated houses are replaced by 64 homes.
1986 DORE to DOOR begins publication.
1991 The Dore ward population figure is given as 19,197.
2000 Extension and refurbishment to Old School completed.
2001 Formal opening of refurbished and extended Old School.
2002 Dore Millennium Play is performed.